6 Signs You Need to Rewire Your Home - An Expert's Guide

It's essential to keep your home safe with regular rewiring. Flickering or dimming lights are one of the most common indicators that your home or office needs rewiring.

Loose electrical wiring

is the most common cause of home fires, so it's important to call an electrician right away to assess the situation. Electric shocks can cause burns and serious health problems, such as muscle contractions, numbness, memory loss, and even respiratory and heart failure.

A strong shock can even lead to death. Homes or office buildings that are more than 40 years old are prime candidates for rewiring. Aluminum wiring was popular in the 1960s and 1970s because it was much cheaper than copper wiring. If you have an older home, you might notice the letter “AL” printed on the wiring. Discolored outlets often occur due to loose connections or degraded wiring. Loose wiring connections can allow electricity to escape into the opening in the form of sparks.

These sparks can cause small fires that deform and interrupt outlets and switches. Discoloration of outlets (and switches) can be an indication of a loose connection or a sign that your home may need to be rewired. Rewiring can be an opportunity not only to increase safety, but also to comply with modern conveniences, adding additional switches and outlets for kitchen appliances and new electronic appliances. An experienced electrician can rewire your home to meet the highest safety standards and give you peace of mind knowing that you, your family and your property are well protected against electrical hazards. Lighting circuits tend to have a lower nominal value than outlet circuits, so they are often the first to show signs that your home needs to be rewired. However, a switch that goes off persistently can be an indication of a serious problem and a sign that your home needs to be rewired or that it's time to replace the electrical panel.

6 Signs You Need to Rewire Your Home

  • The house is old
  • Flashing or dimming lights
  • Loose electrical wiring
  • Electric shocks
  • Discolored outlets
  • Persistent switch offs
It's always best to exercise caution when it comes to electrical wiring in your home or office.

If you notice any of these signs, it's time to call an electrician for an evaluation.

Penelope Insalaco
Penelope Insalaco

Certified beer fan. Coffee practitioner. Extreme web ninja. Unapologetic tv aficionado. Award-winning web lover.